08:13
1
Eka thought quickly.
‘I didn’t want to tell you Mellisa, but now I will, ‘Eka said. ‘The truth is, I’ve bought a couple of ferrets. I got them to catch rabbits. The ferret can’t get out the sack, Mellisa dear. You’re quite safe.
‘Isn’t it a lovely day?’ Eka went on loudly, ‘Are you going to market next Saturday, Mellisa? How’s your aunt?’
Eka was shaking with fear, as he thought about Farina under the corn-sacks. But he was more frightened of Mellisa beside him. What could he do? Eka had never been in such trouble before.
They were getting near Pekalongan by now. Eka could see his father working in a field.
Old Mr Putra looked up when he heard the wagon. He was very surprised to see Eka and Mellisa together. Mr Putra waved his hat and called out his son’s name.
Eka stopped the wagon at once.
‘Will you hold the reins for a moment, Mellisa?’ Eka said. “I must find out what my father wants.’
Eka jumped down from the wagon, happy to get away from the three women. He ran quickly across the field to his father.
Mr Putra looked angrily at his son.
‘Now, Eka, this won’t do, ‘Mr Putra said. ‘if you are going to marry Farina then you must not drive about with Mellisa Basaran. I won’t allow that!’
‘It’s not my fault, father, ‘Eka answered. ‘Mellisa asked me to drive her home.’
‘She did? That was very wrong of her, ‘Mr Putra said. ‘If Farina had asked, that would have been all right. But it is not right for you and Mellisa to drive about together…’
‘It is all right, Father, ‘Eka replied. ‘Farina’s there too.’ ‘Farina? Where? I can’t see her.’ ‘She’s under the corn-sacks, ‘Eka answered. ‘The truth is, Father, I’m in trouble. Mona Briki is there, too. She’s at the back, under the tarpaulin. I’ve got all there of them in the wagon. I don’t know what to do.
‘I must make a decision, Father, “Eka said sadly, I’ll speak out clearly in front of them all. But which one should I marry, Fahter?’
‘The one who didn’t ask to ride with you, ‘ Mr Putra answered
‘I think that was Farina, ‘Eka said.
‘Then marry Farina. She’s the best, ‘his father replied.
At that moment, the two men heard a cry.
‘Look at the wagon, Eka!’ Mr Putra exclaimed. It’s moving. Mellisa can’t stop the horse. Run back quickly. There’ll be an accident!’
Eka ran back across the field. As he ran, he made his decision. Farina was his father’s choice, not his. He wouldn’t marry Farina. He’d marry Mellisa Basaran!

Eka’s promise to Mellisa had made Farina angry and ashamed. Farina moved about under the sacks, not knowing what to do.
As Farina moved about, she got nearer to the back of the wagon. Suddenly, she swa a woman’s shoe and a bit of white stocking!
Farina was very surprised. She moved along until she was under tarpaulin. Farina gave a cry. She was looking at Mona Briki!
‘Why, this is shameful!’ Farina whispered.
‘It certainly is shameful, to find you hiding in a young man’s wagon!’ Mona answered angrily.
‘Be careful what you say!’ Farina replied, speaking more loudly. ‘It’s all right for me to be here. I’m engaged to Eka. What has Eka promised you? Nothing! I don’t care what Eka says to other women.’

to be continue

1 comments:

farinafrica said...

uhlala... now it really get's exiting :D