19:06
0
‘Maybe I’ll marry you after all, Mona,’ Eka went on.
‘I haven’t promised to marry Farina. We’ll talk about it later, when she’s gone past.’
So Mona climbed into the back of the wagon. Eka covered her quickly with the tarpaulin. Then he drove on to meet Farina.
‘There you are at last, Eka,’ Farina said angrily. ‘What a long time you’ve been! But you asked me to meet you and here I am. You promised we could ride home together, didn’t you? You said we would talk about our wedding. Don’t you remember?’
‘Farina, my dear, I had forgotten, ‘Eka answered truthfully. Then he said, ‘I saw your mother in the market. I think she was looking for you.’
‘Mother came home across the fields,’ Farina said. ’She was home before I left. You don’t want me to walk home, do you?’ Farina went on.
‘No, of course not, Farina dear, ‘Eka said.
So Eka helped Farina up onto the wagon. What could he do?
Farina sat down happily beside Eka. They were soon talking together in a very loving way.
On they went, looking at the fields and trees on either side. It was a lovely day. Eka was pleased that Farina was with him. She was a sweet girl.
Time passed happily for Eka and Farina. The wagon moved more and more slowly. Some way in front of them there was a little house by side of the road, a well-dressed young woman was looking out of an upstairs window. Eka knew the girl at once. She was Mellisa Basaran.
Mellissa Basaran was a very beautiful girl. But she was easily made angry and she was very jealous.
‘My dear Farina, my coming wife, ‘Eka said quickly.
‘Do you see that young woman looking out of the cottage window? It’s Mellisaa Basaran. She’s a very jealous woman. She’ll make trouble if she sees us together. Will you do something for me, Farina dear?’
‘Certainly, Eka dear’ Farina answered sweetly.
‘Then please hide under those empty sack on the wagon behind us,’Eka said. ‘Hide there till we’ve passed the house. Mellisa hasn’t seen us yet. Farina dear, our wedding’s coming soon. We don’t want any trouble, do we?’
‘All right, Eka Dear. I’ll do what you say,’ Farina said.
So Farina hides under the corn-sack behind the wagon seat. Mona, under the tarpaulin, at the far end of wagon, heard nothing.

To be continue

0 comments: